High Temperature PTFE Paste Extrusion
Materials: PTFE – Polytetrafluoroethylene
THE PROCESS OF MAKING PTFE WIRE:
- PTFE fine powder and lubricants are precisely combined and blended in a rolling agitator.
- Fluoropolymer Resin is filled and pressed into a cylinder to create a preform.
- Preforms are transferred to the extrusion line and inserted in the Hydraulic Ram.
- The wire is transported through the extrusion equipment by tightly controlled equipment.
- The ram pushes the resin material through extrusion die at the front end of the cylinder under high pressure at room temperature forming the resin around the wire.
- The insulated wire material is sintered/cured through a series of precisions.
- Finished product is placed on a take up reel.
Good reasons for selecting PTFE as an insulation system:
PTFE outperforms other fluoropolymers or for that matter any other thermoplastic insulation system.
- Chemical resistance, weather resistance
- High performance electric insulation
- Excellent dielectric properties
- Abrasion resistance, heat resistance
- Less adhesiveness, low water absorption
- Physiological Safety
- Space Industry
- Air Craft Industry
- Car Industry
- IT Industry
- Chemical Industry
- Food Industry
- Electric Appliances
- Medical Devices
Breaking new ground in processing techniques..
As we started our entry into markets almost a decade ago, that require products made of PTFE, we did what most cable companies do, “we took the easy way” of looking to invest in a ready to use extrusion plant.
We researched the market for the “off the shelf” precision paste extrusion equipment that would fit our need for the type of technology LOROM was seeking. Unfortunately we were not successful in locating standard machinery that would satisfy our customer’s requirements but more importantly we realized our desire to develop this technology in house for future requirements.
We therefore decided to go the “hard way” which required designing and building our own precision paste extrusion equipment.
The investment paid off, for today we have the capacity and versatility we need in our paste extrusion equipment to produce products that have placed LOROM as a leading manufacturer for PTFE wire and cable products in the world.
With our in-house blending of resin, we can control the entire process from building preforms to final product and in many cases even final cable assemblies.
LOROM’s Paste Extrusion Equipment uses an in-house developed closed loop control system.
This system measures and controls the critical parameters that will be paramount in meeting all the final product performance criteria, such as line speed, product dimensions using an 8 way laser dimensional measurement system, tension and curing temperature with PID auto-tuned temperature controllers.
To make the best High Temperature Product in the world you need the best equipment. We not only have the best equipment but we build it ourselves.
We manufacture airframe wire products used in all of our wire harnesses that are used for critical applications on board an aircraft.
Airframe wires and cables are used throughout the aircraft:
- On the flight deck
- In the passenger area
- In the wings and surfaces of the craft
They are used to carry signal and low level power at 27 Volt DC or 115 Volts AC RMS. These wires represent a significant part of the 200 km of cables in an average passenger aircraft. They control everything from fasten-seatbelt signs to complex fly-by-wire sub-systems.
LOROM Technologies Comprise of:
- Copper, copper-alloy, copper-clad aluminum or aluminum alloy
- PTFE extruded combinations with polyimide wrapped insulation
- Cross-linked extruded insulation and jackets
- High Temperature (150°C to 260°C)
- Mechanical resistance (abrasion, cut-through)
- UV and fluid-resistance
- Arc-track resistance
- Vibration resistance